Saturday, February 28, 2015

Mardi Gras Coming and Going

With the end of February comes the end of Mardi Gras and another month of this program. Despite the city wide celebrations and my friend Jonathan coming to visit, I was able to get one shift of Habitat for Humanity in. It was a very cold experience and I did my best to push through it. I was surprised at how cold New Orleans can get and I went inside after lunch to try and escape the cold. I did a lot of painting this time and while I found it a little tedious at first, when I remembered that there were people out in New Orleans that didn't have homes and had to suffer the cold all the time. This gave me a little encouragement to focus on the work and quit complaining. While I only did get 8 hours of volunteering in, there was plenty of other excitement. During one of the parades, I witnessed a shooting where two people passed away. It was a harsh reminder of gang violence and how crime and murder still occur even during near city wide celebrations and merry making. A few of the other students witnessed it as well and I tried my best to comfort them as they were having a harder time with seeing something so traumatic. I hope that they are okay and that they will talk to someone if they are dwelling on it as I take mental health extremely seriously and would not be able to forgive myself if they were struggling and I wasn't trying to help them.


Time volunteering 8 hrs 30 mins

No comments:

Post a Comment