Thursday, April 30, 2015

Done and Yet Just Beginning

This is it. I'm now completely finished with my classes and I have to say that I am satisfied with the results. This program has certainly given me the confidence that I needed to attend medical school. I am positive that I will be able to handle the workload of medical school and thrive in a high pressure environment. However this program has also done much to humble me. I completed another 2 shifts at habitat for humanity and I have to say that it was another hard experience. The sun was beating down on us and the sweat was pouring. This time it was different because we were building a house but they had not yet assigned a person to live in it. In addition, I did another shift at KIPP. The first time I did a shift there I was somewhat discouraged because of work that we were doing. This was different and me and a fellow student spent the entire time organizing the library. This felt good and knowing that we were making it easier for the students and the teachers to find what they needed was a great satisfaction. While we were there, a child began to have a temper tantrum. He started to scream and was carried into a side room. It may have started as a temper tantrum but it quickly developed into a panicked episode. Before long he screamed "they are trying to kill me" which reminded me of my time at a children's mental hospital and I suspect the child was having a PTSD flashback. Working after that was difficult and while we were doing things with our hands, our minds were with the child, scared for his life at school. Experiences like these are hard to hear but it shows that these children really do need our help and we were the only people who were willing to help put up the infrastructure while they tended to the children need.


I did 23 hours this month. and a total of 31.5 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment